Monday, January 30, 2012

How do I do my own 30,000 transmission service on a 2004 Sebring Convertible? Or should I pay a shop?

Neither Chilton nor Haynes has published a repair manual for this vehicle. That stinks since I am mechanically challenged, and without the book, I'm scared to touch anything.How do I do my own 30,000 transmission service on a 2004 Sebring Convertible? Or should I pay a shop?
You can do it yourself, which I don't recommend, by dropping the pan and draining whatever fluid is there and replacing the filter. However, the problem with this is the pan only holds so many pints of fluid and the rest is in the transmission. So basically, you are only partially servicing the tranny by adding new fluid to old fluid. A pro shop that does tranny flushes will flush out ALL of the old fluid and replace with new fluid. It really doesn't cost that much either. Maybe $50 to $100 or so. Shop around.How do I do my own 30,000 transmission service on a 2004 Sebring Convertible? Or should I pay a shop?
You need to take it to a shop that does the power flush. If you just drain the fluid you will not get the fluid in the torque converter.



A shop with the power flush equipment will take out all the old fluid and you can see this for yourself when the fluid starts coming out clear. I think I paid about a 100 bucks on my last one.How do I do my own 30,000 transmission service on a 2004 Sebring Convertible? Or should I pay a shop?
transmissions have a drain plug just like the engine oil pan or just a couple of bolts to loosen. Just get her up on blocks and crawl under the transmission and you will find it!



Good Luck!
fordman covered most of it. but you should change the transmission filter first and then have the fluid replaced as fordman said. the filter is something you could tackle yourself if you have some mechanical experience. if you dont feel comfortable doing it then dont. make sure you have it done regularly per the manufacturers reccomendation

No comments:

Post a Comment