Thursday, January 26, 2012

Timing marks worn off of 1987 Honda Civic?

The timing marks should be on the crankshaft pulley according to my Haynes repair manual. However, this is a 21 year old car and they are worn off. How do I go about painting on new timing marks? I'd have to put them in the correct spot. So, how would I go about finding the correct spot to put the timing marks since mine are worn off? 1987 Honda Civic SOHC. 12 valve.Timing marks worn off of 1987 Honda Civic?
The first dude gave some good input however if you daring enuff to get oily, Drop you oil pan and manually turn you engine till the first pistion is up. You'll need a flashlight and possible a mirror. This is a lot simpler that taking off your head, although it may be less acurate.

I had a 89 civic and my timing marks were pretty grooved into the pully. Thats as of 2 years ago with near 300K miles on it then, so i don't suspect that your marks are worn off. Take a reall GOOD look at the pully and i'd bet that they are still there. I've worked on older cars most of my auto life and the timing marks are always there sometimed there is grime that has to be removed but there still there.Timing marks worn off of 1987 Honda Civic?
That Sucks,

Take off the Head and put number 1 piston up,

right to the piont where it is as high as possible,

to do this you need to put car in neutral and crank motor by hand. If you dont know where number one piston is look in your manual or reserch it.



Once the Pistons up you can mark the pully where it lines up with timing marker.



if you have any problems this web site it VERY helpful

Honda-Tech.com



Hope I helped,

good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment