Monday, January 30, 2012

When I brake/accelerate my 89 accord LXi, a loud knocking sound comes. Just replaced my radiator. Whats wrong?

My 89 accord LXi was overheating, so I bought a new Radiator, and replaced all the hoses, fresh coolant..... installed fine. However it still overheats.......and my temp gauge shoots up into orbit!

On top of that, when I press the brake or accelerator, there is a loud knocking sound from the engine. When I release the brake/accel, the knocking sound goes away. I am almost ready to give up on fixing the car, but wanted to give it one last shot, since it is my first car.



Any suggestions out there?



Also how do you replace the water pump? I have the Haynes repair manual, accordingly i went to the area in the engine. I can't seem to loosen the nut. How do you move the pulley away?



Help!When I brake/accelerate my 89 accord LXi, a loud knocking sound comes. Just replaced my radiator. Whats wrong?
I'll start with the major problem - your water pump is stuffed. you could pull the old one out but if you mess with the timing, you'll have a real mongrel of a time getting it fixed - and your car won't go properly until it is fixed. My advice in this case would be to find a friend that has done this operation before and get them to teach you how to change the water pump - or get it done professionally.



The knocking sound could be any number of things but as its limited to accelerating and braking, I'd be inclined to thinking something is loose - if the noise is coming from your engine, then its probably something to do with your water pump - there's too many variables here to make a good diagnosis.
may be you haven't installed the radiator properlyWhen I brake/accelerate my 89 accord LXi, a loud knocking sound comes. Just replaced my radiator. Whats wrong?
could be ball joints or brakes, maybe a control arm bushing, or even brake calipers
Is the waterpump leaking? Otherwise, I'd leave it alone and start with the thermostat? It's only a couple of dollars and easy to replace. One other thing you might look at is the radiator fan - is it coming on when the engine heats up? That could be a source for overheating. Also, when you gas on it and get the knocking sound, is that after it is hot? If so, that is a "normal" sound for an overheated motor. You will end up with worse problems that what you already have if you continue to drive it hot so stop it.When I brake/accelerate my 89 accord LXi, a loud knocking sound comes. Just replaced my radiator. Whats wrong?
Most probably the thermostat is not functioning properly and not diverting the coolant to radiator when temp goes high. You got to replace it. Check also the fan whether starts up (if it is electric-motor driven), when temp goes high on the gauge. Secondly if the sound is coming only when car stops or moves, may be the radiator is loose, since you replaced it recently, and hitting on something. Check it for wobbling.
It's possible that the head gasket could be blown, with the engine cool and shut off, remove the radiator cap, then start the engine and observe the coolant in the radator, if you see air bubbles or the coolant blowing up out of the radiator then it's for sure you have a blown head gasket.Check the motor mounts for looseness or cracks, check the cv joints.

The Haynes manual should have detailed instructions on replacing the water pump, follow them to the letter, without knowing for sure how the Accord's water pump is driven I can't advise you on how to remove it but like I said the Haynes Manual should have explicit details on how to remove it.
Sounds like almost a lost cause. The water pump is in the timing cover with the timing belt. Definitely a restriction, but it sounds like you may have scored a piston as well with the knocking sound. Sounds like maybe a piston skirt. I wouldn't sink more money into this car. Find a Subaru. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment