Monday, January 23, 2012

What does retarding the timing on my truck actually do?

My 90 Chevy truck is clanging %26amp; rattling with almost every push of the gas pedal. I was told that I need to have the timing retarded.

What does this do for my truck %26amp; can anyone give me good enough instructions for me to do it myself? What tools will I need?

I'm not an idiot but, being a woman I have only helped work on a few motors. I do have a Haynes repair manual %26amp; have used it. Can't find any instructions in it to retard the timing.What does retarding the timing on my truck actually do?
Use your Haynes manual to adjust the timing to the correct specifications, not to retard the timing. Without a long explanation of retarding vs advancing timing, this is your solution :}
Retarding the timing makes the fuel detonate in the engine later. You will lose Horsepower and fuel efficiency if you retard the timing. I would buy a can of sea foam motor treatment and do the fuel and intake part of it before I messed with the timing. Its pretty easy to use. You should be able to figure it out if you've ever worked on an engine before.What does retarding the timing on my truck actually do?
A method for controlling timing of ignition of a fuel charge in a compression-ignition engine operating in a controlled auto-ignition mode wherein the engine includes controllable intake and exhaust valve actuation systems is described. The method comprises determining a preferred ignition timing for a cylinder charge and a mass of the fuel charge based upon operator torque request. A portion of the fuel charge is partially oxidized during a negative valve overlap period immediately prior to a compression stroke. Magnitude of the portion of the fuel charge is based upon the preferred ignition timing of the cylinder charge. A remainder of the fuel charge is injected into the cylinder during the compression stroke.



Take it to a mechanic
The timing might not be the cause of your problem, as poor or water diluted gasoline will cause a ping or rattle, bad plugs, or excessive carbon build up will also give you fits.

The timing on many engines cannot be set, so without knowing the exact year, make and model of the engine I can go no further.

In any event, retarding the ignition timing is not always a good idea, because if it is not to far advanced to start with then you will have very poor perfomance plus increase the danger of burning the valves.What does retarding the timing on my truck actually do?
I agree with Bojo more than any of these guys. Again I will say "do your own research".

No one explained to you initial timing and total timing. I am not a Chevrolet expert by any stretch but after you set/adjust timing (at the distributor, the computer will add as much as 20deg timing (total timing).

Total timing is what your vehicle "runs on". Initial timing is what you vehicle "starts on". Now by moving back "initial timing" you can adjust total timing but it does not guarantee a cure to your problem.

You also must be sure that your timing marks are correct (your pointer to your balancer). You need to verifyy TDC (top dead center of cyl #1) to verify your timing is correct before touching distributor. Doing this "blind" could really get your truck in a mess.

Also Check your cooling system if the vehicle runs too hot it can make the car ping (FYI too much timing will cause running hot). An Idea: Run a lower temp thermostat. Easy change (two bolts hold it in on front of engine) and cheap especally on a SBC. 180deg to 160deg "could do the trick".

Not to confuse you but make sure of what your doing before you do it...(free advice).

No comments:

Post a Comment