Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How difficult is it to replace a water pump in a Pontiac Grand Am?

This is a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE, with a transverse 3.4 L V6 engine. We have the Haynes manual for this car, and the pics and description make it look pretty simple. It looks easier than my old Nissan Altima 4 cylinder, where we had to actually move the engine block to get to the silly thing. My Old Man says that he could probably do it fairly easily in about an hour to an hour and a half based on what he saw in the book and from looking at the car, but Haynes sometimes doesn't quite match the real-life job. The Old Man is pretty savvy when it comes to repairs, and has done some pretty difficult work at home on our cars/trucks. He also used to be a VW mechanic before he went into engineering many years ago , so he's experienced.



Money's a bit tight right now, so if we can do it ourselves and save on shop costs, that would be great. I was quoted anywhere from $143 to $229 to do the job. The higher figure was at a wrench shop in a hooty-tooty part of town, where I originally noticed that I had a problem and immediately had it checked. I know that's way high for that job, but they at least got me topped off with coolant (I had run out of my emergency supply when I noticed I was blowing coolant all over the inside of my engine compartment on the passenger side) so I could get home. I really thought I'd blown a head gasket until I noticed that there was no coolant near the manifolds, no cheese on the oil cap, and no crap in the radiator.



No, it is NOT head gasket. The wrenches at the shop checked the head gasket for me and it is just fine. Hoses are good. No overheating at all. I made sure of that since I pulled off immediately (like, in seconds) when my coolant light came on. Yes, the coolant was low, but not empty. I pulled right into the burger joint next to where I was sitting at a light when the warning came on, ate a burger while I let the engine cool a bit, then added coolant/water and SLOWLY/CAREFULLY drove to the shop for diagnosis. Oh-- the water pump bearing is shot... any longer, and I would have had much worse problems. For now, it's just the pump gone bad.



Anyone done this before, and how tough was it in real life?How difficult is it to replace a water pump in a Pontiac Grand Am?
No problem at all! Well...for me. But it's about the same level of knowledge as maybe changing a starter or alternator. But you'll likely make a mess...so drive onto a tarp or use a pan.



Those quotes are pretty good but probably don't include parts...just saying. Unless labor in your area is in the 50-60/hour range.How difficult is it to replace a water pump in a Pontiac Grand Am?
Piece of cake a walk in the park...like taking candy from a baby Turn him loose and I will bet he can do this in less then an hourHow difficult is it to replace a water pump in a Pontiac Grand Am?
Great question.

Sorry, I've never had the displeasure to replace a water pump on "that" car.

How tough could it be.

As long as he can get under the car for the hard to reach bolts, it should be a "cake walk".

Good luck with it.



I just wanted to compliment you on your well informed question.

No comments:

Post a Comment