Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Should I replace the timing chaing on my 2000 2.7liter dodge intrepid myself?

I have recently been doing my own repairs/maintenance on my cars. I always use a haynes manual and have or can aquire all of the necessary tools. Recently I changed the oil pan gasket (oil leak), replaced brake fluid and transmission fluid, replaced pvc valve, and I have always changed my own oil.



Im a little slow at doing these things as I like to take my time and do them right. If I did it myself, how long do you think it would take.



I just don't want to go over my head.. I read the instructionss and it doesnt seem to hard. Also, I would likely replace the water pump as well.



Note: I'm not being cheap... Its partially for the savings but also because I like to do these things myself.Should I replace the timing chaing on my 2000 2.7liter dodge intrepid myself?
It's a big task - but if you want to be adventurous and want to tinker - I dont see why not. Make sure you have a piggie bank in the event you need to buy a new car. Getting at the timing belt and screwing up could cost you your engine.



But if it's something you love to do - go for it.Should I replace the timing chaing on my 2000 2.7liter dodge intrepid myself?
the book calls for 4.8 hrs. you need to remove the radiator and all of the belt driven accessories. if you dont line up the gears properly it will not run and you could cause serious engine damage. its a fairly easy job if you are mechaincly inclined, also you shouldnt ever have to replace a timing chain unless it breaks which almost never happens, but if you want to fix what aint broke dont say i didnt warn you. it will cost you about $100 bucks for every thing provided you dont open up a can of worms good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment