Sunday, February 12, 2012

My 1991 Mitsubishi Galant is hard to start?

To start with: I cannot and will not take this car to a mechanic nor can I replace the car. I am not affluent enough for these options. I have to diagnose and repair this myself. If you have other suggestions than this please be kind and keep them to yourself. I have no other options at this time.



I have a 91 Mitsubisi galant GS Auto, 4 cyl I believe 2.0L DOHC. As the weather has gotten colder it has gotten harder to start. It did this a couple times this summer but now I constantly have to turn the key for short intervals repeatedly until the engine starts to turn over. When i give it a bit of gas, it stalls out. I have to repeatedly tap the gas pedal to rev up the engine and warm it up a bit and then I can drive it. It has always idled erratically when it's cold but even warmed up the idle is not steady. When the car warms up I get a check engine light on it. It's too old to be tested for free at autozone and a mechanic will charge the earth just to troublshoot a code, let alone locate the actual problem. I'm happy to buy the tools to test this but i'd like some ideas where to start. So far I'm thinking Idle air control valve, or fuel pressure regulator just based on some web sites I've read. I have the Haynes Manual for the car as a reference but I don't know where else to start looking. if anyone out there can tell me if these are common signs of something I'd appreciate it.My 1991 Mitsubishi Galant is hard to start?
I think it's just a sign of just being plain old..... 17yrs old is considered elderly for most cars.



Try giving it a good servicing / going over.........

Oil + Oil Filter change, check the spark plugs (colour of the bit that goes into the engine is supposed to give clues to some problems)..... clean out the distributor cap + check the rotor for damage, replace them anyway...... check the plug leads + distributor lead for damage... replace them if they ain't been done for a while.......... if the battery's over 5-10yrs old it probably needs replacing (make sure it's a good one, like an AC Delco)....... check exhaust for leaks (may not affect starting performance, but worth checking anyway)........ clean out the fuel system, and maybe add a fuel additive next time you fill up........ and maybe also check the belts on the engine, and make sure the timing isn't out....... oh, and don't forget to change the air filter (if it's the paper type, it's supposed to be replaced every 12months...... or you can sling it for a K%26amp;N filter, which just needs cleaning out and reusing every 6-12month service)My 1991 Mitsubishi Galant is hard to start?
Sounds like the car could use a good tune up. Replace the spark plugs, wires, Ignition rotor and distributor cap, clean the throttle body and change the air filter and she should run like new

No comments:

Post a Comment