Saturday, February 18, 2012

Can I join the military while being a full-time employee at a defense contractor?

I am not entirely happy with my job as an aerospace engineer in the space launch industry. I am married, make 64K and think it is still not enough to support my wife and I. Is it possible to join the military on the side and make a little extra money while I work fulltime here at my job. I don't think my boss would let me take time off for boot camp...Can I join the military while being a full-time employee at a defense contractor?This is tough...as a defense contractor, you would have to get permission for any secondary job to be sure there is no conflict or security issues. If they approve, you could do reserve or gaurd...your boss would have no choice but to let you go for training and drills. BUT you could be deployed and if that happens you will not be getting paid from your civilian job (although they have to keep it for you once you return) and that would mean a signifigant drop in income most likely. In reality, the military is not the best part time job...too many service requirements and obligations.Can I join the military while being a full-time employee at a defense contractor?
Try the guard or reserve. after basic and other training it is 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. Talk to a recruiter they can give best info.Can I join the military while being a full-time employee at a defense contractor?Maybe in Reserves or Guard. You have to be careful though. If you are working on a contract that pertains to your Military job you could come into a conflict of interest and could lose your contracting job. This could lead to other problems as well. First thing to do is talk with your boss and a recruiter. See what your options are and go from there.Can I join the military while being a full-time employee at a defense contractor?
If 64K is not enough for you, I think you might have a bit of a problem between your ears, sorry. Other than that, military wages are not all that great, considering. In your case it would have to be reserve duty. I'm sure there are a lot better paying part-time jobs elesewhere.Can I join the military while being a full-time employee at a defense contractor?The only military option is the Guard or Reserve. You would have to take off for Basic Training and AIT, and your boss would have absolutely no choice but to let you off for that. There are federal laws protecting the employment rights of Guard and Reserve soldiers.

Try this website:

http://www.army.mil/publications/soldier鈥?/a>



I hope I've helped you.
  • textfree pinger
  • kauffman tire
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment