Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I have offer to buy a Nissan Pathfinder for $350 but the valves may be damaged.?

The vehicle belonged to a loan officer. His father was a Doctor. He was going to replace the timing belt and dad told him "Lets just triad it in and I'll cosign". This is the story that comes with it. My only fear is the timing belt had snapped and there may be damage to the valves. The condition of the vehicle is nice and it has nice leather interior. It's a 1993 SE model. I'm told if the valves are damaged I can get them repaired for about $300. What do yall think? I can follow a Haynes manual and pull the valves but is it worth it? Would anything else be damaged if the timing belt snapped? Should I just look at getting a engine from a junk yard for $500 with 140,000 miles. O ya, the car has 160,000.I have offer to buy a Nissan Pathfinder for $350 but the valves may be damaged.?
The problem here is the damage can be worse then you think...Their is no way of knowing if the valves are damaged till you pull the head and send it out. With that amount of mileage chances are good that head needs work that only a machine shop can do...Another common problem with cars that use belts if they snap on the highway---not only are chances good that valves will be bent pistons are often damaged and then the motor is scrap metal..If that pathfinder is a V-6 chances are it uses a chain not a belt but I am not sure.. If so thats good--chains seldom snap--they stretch and jump and usually the car will die before more things break. If you are handy and determined I would take a try--get a manual and go for it---if its a slipped chain rather then a broken belt i wouldnt even pull the head off just do the chain and gears Do yourself a favor and Gunk it down before tou work on and I hope things work out for you.I have offer to buy a Nissan Pathfinder for $350 but the valves may be damaged.?
for $350, you are lucky that it a REAL car and not a plastic one
  • gas mileage
  • death certificates
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment