Sunday, February 12, 2012

How do I reinstall rockers on 98 Dodge 5.9 360?

I followed instructions straight out of my Haynes manual. Not really much help I am affraid. My V8 mark is gone do to excessive rust.



Here is what was done so far.



1. Pulled off heads. Stripped off rockers, springs and Valves. Cleaned and replaced with new head gaskets, ARP bolts and proper torque seq. No leaks. Put plenum back down with new plen pan gasket and intake and proper torque. Changed all fuel injector orings and lubed to insure no tearing first. Changed Valve stem seals, put original valves back in( cleaned varnish with plastic ez strip wheel to insure no damage scratches) , springs, push rods and rockers all back in their original location with plenty of engine assembly lube.



2. I set the dist back down with the # 1 cylinder and TDC and the rotor lined up with #1 on the cam sensor plate. I had lost my original mark for the dist body but, because timing is not adjustable this should not matter.



This a completely stock engine with 140,000 on it. I have been using Mobile 1 all it's life and inside pretty clean zero sludge.





So question # 1

Do I need to resynch the dist with the injectors now. If so how do I go about this ?



#2

When I put the rockers back down I started at #1 cyclinder and about 1 1/2 inches past TDC mark on dampner as my factory stamping is no longer. All rockers torqued to 16 ftlb per Haynes manual.



So my question is after doing #1 cylinder rockers what is next. Do I follow firing order 1.8 and so on. If so where should I be on the dampner ( number/ degree to turn ) . Also I am aware that these are supposed to be non adjustable so to say ( Haynes ) that you just bolt them down with proper torque spec and wait five minutes I think I was misled there ?



Issues : My top end is making all kinds of noise. Not your normal ticking either. My fear and thought is that I do not have proper piston to valve clearance on the rest of the cylinders.



I am not a mechanic, I just play one in my back yard like most of us. I am affraid I got a little over confident with this repair and if I don't get this thing back to my 17 year old daughter my wife is gonna scalp me for sure.





Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.How do I reinstall rockers on 98 Dodge 5.9 360?
First The timing is adjustable at the distributor, as you mentioned resynch, This is done by turning the distributor, catch is you must have a chrysler drb3 to do it correctly,

You dont have to remove the dist to do a head job,

If the timing is off you will get some top end noise sounds like something loose and rattling but it could be the rockers if they are not tight enough, but all you have to do is tighten them as there is no adjustment on them You need to have the engine timing synched correctly None of the valves hit the pistons if the engine is in time at the timing chain you have nothing to worry about there for sure

No comments:

Post a Comment