Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Repairing replacing starters?

I have a starter in my 03 Saturn Ion, and I think it is slipping. I have the symptoms of a dead battery but I can get the car started after a few minutes of tries. The problem is intermittent. I have good luck when I drive and not have the radio on. It seems to come to life properly. This morning I had a problem starting (used radio) and I got a jump from someone. After they jumped me I still could not start until a few minutes after they left. My questions are as follows



1) should I have my starter replaced?

2) Can someone with "some" mechanical knowledge change a starter on his own?

3) can a starter be repaired?

4) could it have something to do with the wiring



Any other areas that people can point to me would be great. I am going to pick up a Haynes manual next paycheck.Repairing replacing starters?
first, backyard mechanics u replace starter not repair, with new cars depend on a specific volt range the battery needs to be good. now I am assuming it is it original batt, and most batt are made for only 5 yrs, I would replace the batt first if its older than three yrs.Repairing replacing starters?
I wouldn't just throw parts at it. This can be costly. I'd suggest taking it to a reputable repair facility and have it checked out first.Repairing replacing starters?
well starters can be repaired yes. but it sounds to me like your having alternator problems not charging the battery back correctly.
I agree, i think taking it to a reputable mechanic is the best way to go. If you don't know what your doin' you could cause more problems.



I agree with what the other poster said. It sounds like it could possibly be your alternator. But again, I'd take it in to be safe. Good luck! :)
  • nada bluebook
  • rachel zoe collection
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment