Sunday, February 12, 2012

How do you replace the tpm sensor on one tire?

I used fix a flat on my tire and ruined the tpm system. It stays on all the time now and says I have a flat tire. I replaced the bad tire with a new one. The system is still whacked. I tried reprogramming it per my manual but it did nt work. I bought a haynes manual and unless it's hidden, there is nothing in there about this. The sensor is 80 dollars at Advance Auto but was hoping I could repair it if I hadn't completely ruined it yet. Any help would be appreciated.How do you replace the tpm sensor on one tire?
You must remove the tire from the wheel to replace the sensor. Depending on the manufacturer, some vehicles use a sensor that clamps onto the wheel in the drop-center using basically a big screw type hose clamp, but most of the sensors are attached to a special valve stem. Special care must be taken when moving the bead of the tire past the sensor so as not to damage the new one. Like Stpaulguy said, you also must torque the nut on some of the valves stem type sensors to a specified torque or you can also damage the new sensor. After sensor replacement, as with following a tire rotation, you must perform the relearn procedure to register the new sensor to the system. Its best just to have a tire shop do the replacement and relearn procedure. It shouldn't be much more than $20.How do you replace the tpm sensor on one tire?
It's toast. Replace it. It's inside the valve stem. You need a special torque wrench to tighten it or you can wreck the new one. Best option is to pay a tire shop to install it and reset the system.How do you replace the tpm sensor on one tire?
The tire needs to be dismounted to install the new sensor. You can't do that yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment