Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ford 5.8L Windsor thermostat temperature?

I have small RV build on 1991 Ford E-250 with 5.8L Windsor engine. It was lightly overheating so I decided change the thermostat as my first step. I got OE 195F from AutoZone but now I found that the existing thermostat is for 180F. And Haynes repair manual calls for 170F opening temperature. Now I am confused. My guess is wrong temperature will cause proper operation of the engine but I cannot find the engine specs anywhere. Any help? Thanks.Ford 5.8L Windsor thermostat temperature?
195F is the correct one,lower will burn more gas.Ford 5.8L Windsor thermostat temperature?
Well the reason for the lower Temperature in an rv is the increased load which leads to more engine heat, if you use it in the summer probably best to use 170 but if you use it in the winter I would go with the 180. But 195 is meant for a car or tuck with a much smaller load. and yes you guessed right wrong Temperature will cause overheating or poor fuel economy in result of not reaching proper operating Temperature. The safe bet is to replace it what it had in it before. It worked well for this long why change it now.Ford 5.8L Windsor thermostat temperature?
195 is what most thermostats are which is just right use it

No comments:

Post a Comment