Sunday, February 5, 2012

Is replacing the Power Steering High Pressure hose very difficult?

I know my way around cars a bit (brakes, brake lines, car stereo's, etc) and I have helped replace ball joints, tie rod ends, etc with my mechanic friends so I am not a complete dummy. I have a 2005 Ford F150 5.4 liter that needs to have the Power Steering High Pressure hose replaced (verified at the mechanic shop). The hose runs me around $200-$225 and labour with out the whole job at around $500. They say they will have to remove the oil filter to do the job so they are including a new oil filter, oil and of course power steering fluid in the price. Do I need any special tools? Anything to be aware of? Suck it up and pay the cash? I live a new place so I don't have any of my mechanic friends to lean on (wow, you really miss those helpful mechanic friends) so I will have to do everything. It looks easy enough but I know that looks can be deceiving. I do own the Haynes repair manual! :) Thanks in advanceIs replacing the Power Steering High Pressure hose very difficult?
HI

You well most likely need a set of (or 1 or 2 of these) flare Nut wrenches.. Here's what they look like

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?s鈥?/a>

Usually a regular wrench well just slip over and round off the nut.

good luck

timIs replacing the Power Steering High Pressure hose very difficult?
yes u can do it...usually just requires using the proper copper washers that will come with hose and torquing it to the correct specs.....





also just a thought......what is wrong with the current hose???...cas if it is broken in the metal part u can cut it at that point and put a compression union there and it will b fixed better than new......





also if it has a hole in the rubber at some point ....hose repair at a hose shop runs about 25-35 bucks usually.........and even the mobile guys will only charge a max of $75..... so might b worth looking at it to see if the hose is repairable.....

No comments:

Post a Comment