Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Replacing a '93 accord clutch.?

I have a '93 accord with about 220K miles, and the clutch is on its very last leg, slipping all the time. I plan to fix it myself with a clutch kit from napa or some other part store. I've got a little bit of experience occasionally repairing my cars/motorcycles over the past 7 years or so, but never really did anything that seemed this big.



I have a haynes manual, and also checked the online chilton manual. They both make it seem like the clutch part is easy, but that getting the transaxle out seems like the biggest part of the job.



Heres the biggest part of my question though. I've found many times over the years that haynes manuals, as well as others, seem to be notorious for adding extra all kinds of extra steps that don't need to be done.



For example, this job the repair manual tells me I need to do such things as....



remove both front wheels

drain transaxle fluid

remove header pipe

remove starter and wires

remove clutch slave cylinder

and other such things.



Is all this stuff really necessary? Is it actually this involved just to install a clutch kit? Granted I've never removed a transaxle so I don't know, but man, can't I just swing the thing out of the way enough to put the clutch in, without draining it, taking out the starter, taking off the wheels, taking off the headers (which I believer are about impossibly fused/rusted together), removing the slave cylinder, etc.



And how long is a first timer probably looking to spend on this job. I was hoping to have it done in less than a full saturday.



Thanks.Replacing a '93 accord clutch.?
i don't think all that's necessary i have a 5 speed gmc truck and it wouldn't b that difficult. especially since ur car is Small. honestly all u really need to do is get a transmission jack and lift ur car and lower out the tranny and u should have acces to theflywheele and all that fun stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment