Sunday, February 5, 2012

87 Camaro, 700-R4 Automatic Transmission Problem.?

As stated my 87 Camaro uses an automatic transmission, while driving couple days ago doing about 30mph the rpm meter suddenly shot up to max and the transmission dropped into 1st gear for no reason. I immediately slowed down to pull over into a parking lot. I checked the fluid level and it was fine.



I got it home and dropped the pan to check for any visible problems and I changed the filter, gasket seal and fluids while I was there (well about 5qt of it that came out). After refilling the fliud and allowing to warm I took it around the block to test the shifting, no change, still not getting past first.



So I'm wondering if there is any vacume related sensor or hose I should be checking, I have a haynes repair manual that has no useful information for the automatic transmission, states to take it to a authorized mechanic. Hoping to avoid some jackass telling me I need to replace the tranny if I really don't need to, any helpful suggestions appreciated87 Camaro, 700-R4 Automatic Transmission Problem.?
add some Lucas transmission fix to the tranny and see if it will free up any stuck valves, that stuff works miracles.
You can siphon or suction fluid out of the trans by slipping thin plastic or rubber tubing down the fill tube and use a turkey baster or battery fluid suction bulb attached to the tubing to suck out enough trans fluid. Sounds like an internal pressure loss or stuck valve.87 Camaro, 700-R4 Automatic Transmission Problem.?
The valve body could be hung up,or the tv cable hanging/also what did you find in the pan? dirty with a lot of shavings or.....and did it smell burnt?
Most anything inside the automatic transmissions require an overhaul. because everything comes out the front with the exception of the filter and valve body.



Back to answer # 1 was there stuff in the pan and did it smell burnt and black ?

If you are lucky the TV (throttle cable)cable is broken . pull on the cable at the throttle body and see that is ok.



The "sludge will be throughout the trans. tourque convertor and cooler this could be stopping things up and sticking valves. I would say at a minimum a flush is needed but I personally wouldn;t hold my breath that that will cure it.

The 700-R-4 's are somewhat week in several areas87 Camaro, 700-R4 Automatic Transmission Problem.?
There is a detent cable between the transmission and the throttle linkage. It tells the transmission how far the throttle is open.Check to see if that cable has come off the throttle linkage or is the cable broken? If all is ok there, then you may have a stuck detent valve inside the valve body of the transmission. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment