Thursday, February 2, 2012

Timing belt in a 2000 VW Jetta?

How hard would it be to repalce the timing belt in a 2000 Jetta? Would buying a Haynes Repair Manual show how to do it?

The manual:

http://www.haynes.com/products/searchTyp鈥?/a>



My father has changed water pumps and timing belts before but never on a tiny jetta. How hard will it be? How bad could he screw it up?Timing belt in a 2000 VW Jetta?
Not recommended, with a VAG (VW Audi Group), car the timing belt change needs special tools to do it. Plus, you need to change the rollers, the H20 pump, and the thermostat. Its going to run about 700-800 bucks depending on where you live. Have a experienced VAG tech do it. Sorry pops.Timing belt in a 2000 VW Jetta?
It is not the hardest thing possible! However I think they will say to remove the crankshaft balancer("vibration damper). however on older models at least, if you pull off the pulley (remove bolts)and work old belt out very marginal space, you can then work in new one and not have to take that part off, as it is kind of hard! The big secret is to check very carefully and try to keep crankshaft and camshaft from moving while belts off, -- Set crankshaft (%26amp; camshaft) at top dead center, with timing marks all lined up as shown in book, when you get finished turn engine over by hand a couple times, and see if marks still ok!! Haynes is the "best of the best" manuals, and they cover it pretty well! It took me about an hour to replace belt on my rabbit a few years ago, and Jetta engine is very similar! As a mater of fact I bought a Haynes manual today for 97 Nissan pickup, which has an electrical probelm,-- Haynes is one of few that has wiring diagrams in book too !Timing belt in a 2000 VW Jetta?
I also have a 2000 jetta.... Just had the timing belt and water pump changed last month. I started to dive into it, so I went to the book store and read thru the Haynes manual.... I quickly realized I was better off just pay'n someone to do it. If I remember correctly it was just a few hundred bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment