Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why isn't my AC compressor getting any power?

I have a 99 VW beetle.from one day to the next the ac stopped working.I was gonna add freon when i noticed the clutch wasnt coming on.this vehicle only has 35'000 miles.I read the haynes repair manual and it says if its low on freon the ac will cut out.you must jumpstart the compressor by using a jumper on the pressure switch.i tried this but the compressor is still not getting any power.i checked the connector that hooks up the compressor and its getting no current what so ever.I jumped the compressor straight to the battery and the clutch kicks on so i know the compressor is good.Its just not getting any power.I checked all fuses and relays and made sure they are getting good contact.when i was gonna charge the freon i noticed the psi was about 100 which is to high..im assuming cause the compressor isn't coming on.What would cause my compressor not to get any power?anything i can try?Why isn't my AC compressor getting any power?
If the fuse is good the next thing is to see if you have B+ at the AC switch. Then turn the switch on and make sure you have B+ out of the switch. Check for B+ with the switch on at the low pressure switch. Jump the switch if there is B+ and see if the voltage stays the same or if it drops as it should. If no change in voltage you have an open circuit or a bad relay between the low pressure switch and the compressor clutch.

If it was my car I'd remove the AC and open the windows.
  • vance and hines
  • romance novels
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment