Wednesday, February 8, 2012

2000 Ford Explorer - $1,035 Fuel Pump Replacement?

Year: 2000

Make/Model: Ford Explorer

Sub-Model: XLS

Engine: 6-cylinder

Area: ~San Diego



Okay, so the Ford dealership quoted me $1,035 for parts and labor to replace a bad fuel pump. I am not willing to pay this, and would rather replace the part myself.



The issue: I know zero about cars. They have 4 tires, pedals (go and stop) and a volatile liquid makes them go vroom.



Price of Haynes vehicle repair manual: $30

Price of fuel pump for my car online: $50-$200

Price of my labor/dignity: $_?_





QUESTION: For the gear heads; is this feasible or am I insane to attempt this.2000 Ford Explorer - $1,035 Fuel Pump Replacement?
You can absolutely do it yourself, not that hard. If you have the intelligence like one of the OWS people then it might be a problem for you.



I would not pay a dealer that much, not only are the raping you but your entire family and their unborn children.
I would pay a pro to do this as i am certain that you will not have all the tools to perform this task . and they would cost almost as much as the pump . You would need some kind of jack to hold the fuel tank plus the tools to release the fuel lines without breaking them .I think you should buy the pump you want and then search around for a shop that will install it cheaply .2000 Ford Explorer - $1,035 Fuel Pump Replacement?
whoa really? this is why im glad i live in the hood, my crackhead mechanic replaces my fuel pumps for $30 lmao!



back to your question...

shops charge an hourly rate of $60 - $120 per hour (fuel pump replacement is about a 1 hour job)

when going to a shop you have got to act like you know these thing, otherwise you'll get ripped off!



do not pay more than $240 for labor!
If you live in Florida I will do the job for $300 dollars with part and labor is very easy to replace drop the tank remove the fuel line and take the pump out. I change my fuel pump on my explorer last week now it got power run like a champ.2000 Ford Explorer - $1,035 Fuel Pump Replacement?
1. If you know nothing about cars replacing a fuel pump is not the place to start learning.

2. Get used to replacing them yourself if you are going to by cheap generic brand pumps on-line for $200.
go anyplace other than a dealer! labor where I am is only $65 an hour and it shouldn't take more than 2.
well, first off, make sure you check to see if the pump is bad. There are plenty of sights on the web that will run you through it.

If the pump is no kidding bad, then you will have to make sure the fuel tank is empty, cause that's where the pump is. I have attached a link that will help you out.

If your going to replace a fuel pump, might as well upgrade it too. this should run you between $83-178 for one (google 2000 ford explorer fuel pump and click shopping).

The book is a must for inexperienced mechanics and yes, it is feasible for you to do this yourself and save tons of money. The link below will guide you along and give you an idea of what to expect.



Don't worry about the year models, most vehicles are made the same way and are interchangeable through 5-10yrs depending on the make.
  • chrome apps
  • flight simulator games
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment