Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Should I get a hydraulic roller lifter or mechanical roller lifter kit for my 4x4 truck?

I went to NAPA yesterday for a rear main seal for my 95' Z71. The guy asked me if I wanted another one. I asked what was wrong with it and he informed me that it didn't have a title and has a collapsed lifter. I didn't ask how many miles it has but he only wants $500 for it. I can probably get another truck like it from an auto salvage and get a salvage title for that one and use the title for the one that needs the lifter. I've got enough mechanical ability and a 'Haynes' repair manual for the truck but it doesn't have instructions for the lifters. I looked under the valve train section and there isn't anything there either. Any advice?Should I get a hydraulic roller lifter or mechanical roller lifter kit for my 4x4 truck?
I would just stick to the stock lifters, replacing all of them, unless you are building a performance engine. You will not have any idea of what else may be wrong with that mill either. If you're building a 4x4 you can just get a new re-man long block crate engine. But if you have the money, time, and room you can rebuild it yourself. It would be a learning experience. Could be a waste of time and money too. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment