Sunday, February 12, 2012

Best guide/manual for overhauling/repairing Ford 302 V8..?

I own a 1967 Mustang Fastback with a 302 V8. I don't know a lot about engines and overhauling them, but I am going to remove my engine and learn as much as I can about it, while in the process of overhauling it.

I've been trying to find a guide or handbook (Haynes??) which will explain every detail of overhauling a 302. What's the best one out there to use..??

Thanks for your time :)Best guide/manual for overhauling/repairing Ford 302 V8..?
I work for Ford for 28 years and that guy says the Haynes manual..lol. Ford makes an actual book for each engine it ever made. Call your ford dealer and tell them your engine code and what it is out of and they will give you a number and I.D. the correct book for your engine. It will have every detail of everything on the cars engine and all details of taking the engine in and out and anything else ever you need done to your car you will now know because you have an actual book for your car not an aftermarket knock off like chilton or haynes. Trust me im right on this. And buy american.Best guide/manual for overhauling/repairing Ford 302 V8..?
you have said it, the best one I know would be a Haynes manual.

I have learned mechanics from the grounds up.. fixing bicycles at age 6, tuning mopeds at age 14, big bikes and cars from 19 onward.. I didn't know you can start learning while overhauling a V8 as you wouldn't even know the basics, such us stripping threads and other stuff I can't even remember as it comes natural to me now but good luck, you are very brave as removing an engine is an operation that can mangle you a hand or even kill you.Best guide/manual for overhauling/repairing Ford 302 V8..?
Haynes is ok, I prefer a Chilton's myself they are way more in depth than a Haynes will ever be. Especially the ones from the 60's and 70's like my dad has for his mustang. I have both the Haynes and Chilton's manuals for my foxbody mustang and like I said the chilton's is more in depth. The Haynes covers the79-93 model years and the chilton's covers 79-85 and is more than double the size of the Haynes. SA Design also has some very good books, I own four or five of them. They have one for basic small block rebuilds all the way up to engine stroking and big block performance. The best book they have is the interchange book. It tells what can swap from engine to engine and how. Such as putting 351 cleveland heads on 351 windsor or 289/302. I helped my dad and uncle's pull and rebuild engines since I was 9. The biggest thing I learned is zip lock bags with the little white label on it are your best friend. Keep all your nuts, bolts, etc labeled. Here's an amazon link with some books. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_n鈥?/a>

here's another with the haynes and chilton books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=se鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment