Wednesday, February 8, 2012

1992 GMC Jimmy - quite a few specific and general questions!?

New (for me) vehicle. First, can those shift indicator lights be adjusted? If I went by this one I'd be in 5th gear at 40mph! The oil pressure gauge doesn't drop below 40, then when I start it it jumps to above 80. It's supposed to run in the 40 range, but can the gauge be adjusted or does it need to be replaced? Then there are additives. Are oil/gas/radiator treatments worth the money? Do they really help? I'm thinking of one for the radiator (an anti-rust), some kind of sludge cleaner for the oil before changing it and a gas treatment to clean the lines. Am I going to overdose the poor thing? An old man drove this, never did anything for it and went maybe 20 miles twice a week at 30mph. I'm planning on an oil change, radiator flush, changing the plugs (and maybe the wires) and going to have them look underneath while they have it on the rack - axles, universal joints, transmission fluid levels checked...

Anything else I haven't thought of mechanically?



Now interior - living in a small town, we only have one junkyard and it isn't very helpful. Anyone know of an online site that could help me with little stuff like armrests, ashtrays, rear window lock, etc?



Oxidation - Do I just wash and wax it? Is there an all-in-one product I can use? I'm old and get tired quick!



Chilton or Haynes Repair Manuals?



And if I don't get a perfect 56/44 mix for the antifreeze (who thought of that ratio??) will it damage anything? That's about 7qts/5qts for a 12.1 qt capacity, right?



That's what I forgot! Oil types! I was told if I went synthetic I had to stay with it or it would damage my vehicle. What's a blend? Do you buy it blended or mix the oil types? I have old stuff ('48 Willys, '69 GMC p/u) and I've always used a regular detergeant type oil.



Everyone who answers - thanks. I really want to do this right.1992 GMC Jimmy - quite a few specific and general questions!?
Ignore the light, it was every auto manufactures answer to the Feds wanted better MPG. It isn't adjustable.

The oil pressure you are describing is great. It is well within specs of where it shows.

Just flush the radiator, don't clean it too well, this is an old truck, you clean it too well, and you may open a can of worms by doing that, ie coolant lines leaking, radiator leaks, heatercore leaking, etc etc.

10/30 wieght oil will be fine. I wouldn't worry about flushing this part of the truck again. Don't dislodge something you might regret it. Just change the oil regularly.

LMC Truck has good stuff for new parts. For both the interior and exterior.

Oxidization? wash it, dont do too much more to it, you don't want to "burn" through the paint, then you have no protection.

Manuals are a personal preference thing.

a 50/50 ratio for antifreeze will be fine, unless you live in a cold climate.

The truck is forgiving, drive it and enjoy it.1992 GMC Jimmy - quite a few specific and general questions!?
get a smart Boyfriend . your in bad shape

WOW!! thats a lot!!

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment