Thursday, February 2, 2012

Can anyone explain what a wax choke is?

A month ago I took my 91 nissan pickup (KA24E engine) (manual tranny) into the nissan dealer because of some high idle issues, the truck would Idle @ 2000rpm when cold then kick down to 300 rpm and then either die or jump back up to 2000rpm and continue to jump up and down, They told me I needed a engine temp sensor, a wax choke, a new timing chain, a clutch, and I needed to repair the wiring for the air temp sensor, I had the idle fixed by another shop, ( he said there was some loose vacuum hoses) and the truck now idles steady at @ 1200rpm when cold and 950rpm when warm. I was wondering though, what is a "wax choke" and how come it is not mentioned in my haynes repair manual.Can anyone explain what a wax choke is?
The thermo element is located on the front of the TBI unit, with two 3/8 hoses going in and out of the bottom of it. Thermo element is often called the wax choke, and it's a system used mostly on Nissan.
  • dmv nc
  • campers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment