Thursday, February 2, 2012

Why can't I shift my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport?

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport, V6 engine, manual transmission. When I try to shift gears, the gear shifter won't go into gear without significant force. Sometimes I can't shift into 1st at a full stop without turning off the engine, and when I try while the engine is on, the car rolls forward when I try to force the shift. When the vehicle is in motion, I can *usually* (but not always) get it into gear. This happened 2 weeks ago as well, and I had it towed home, where my dad looked at it after it sat for a week, and it worked just fine for him. He couldn't find anything wrong with the clutch, and he checked all the linkages according to the information in the Haynes Repair Manual. I drove it for a few days before it started locking up again, and I was able to "reset" it by rolling down hills backwards in neutral with the engine off. Today it has started acting like it did before I got it towed. Is there anything it could be *besides* the clutch? I really appreciate your help!!!Why can't I shift my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport?
have u been grinding your gears that could cause this problem or it may be time for a new transmissionWhy can't I shift my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport?
check your slave cyl on the fire wall or clutch cyl for fluidWhy can't I shift my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport?
the clutch staying engaged for some reason, either due to damage/wear (which without removal can't be seen), the master or slave cylinders not pumping enough fluid (air trapped) to allow it to disengage or the shifter internally is messed up such as a bent shift rods etc....



My vote is to look at the master or slave going out and make sure the fluid level is up on that as by the sound of it, this is what may be going on... it's not building pressure to release the clutch occasionally and double clutching is building the pressure to release

No comments:

Post a Comment